Trump Admin Denounces Sanctuary Cities After Shooting Of Border Patrol Officer

The Trump administration is calling for an end to sanctuary city policies following the shooting of a Customs and Border Protection officer in New York City over the weekend.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem and Border Czar Tom Homan held a press conference Monday condemning New York City’s refusal to cooperate with federal immigration enforcement, linking the policy directly to Saturday night’s attempted robbery and shooting of the off-duty officer in Manhattan’s Fort Washington Park.

“Sanctuary cities are sanctuaries for criminals,” Homan said. “This attack never should’ve happened. These men should have been deported long ago.”

The 42-year-old officer was shot in the face and arm by two suspects who approached on a moped. Despite his injuries, the officer returned fire, hitting one of the attackers. Both suspects fled but were later apprehended. One of the men, Miguel Francisco Mora Nunez — an illegal alien from the Dominican Republic with a history of violent offenses — was caught after showing up at a hospital with gunshot wounds. The second suspect, Christhian Aybar-Berroa, was arrested Monday morning.

According to Noem, both men had extensive criminal records and were previously ordered deported. “This attack was preventable,” she said. “We are calling on every sanctuary mayor and governor to reverse course immediately. These policies are endangering innocent Americans.”

CBP Commissioner Rodney Scott echoed the message: “We should not be here today. The only reason these criminals were on our streets is because of Biden’s failed border policies.”

President Donald Trump weighed in on Truth Social Sunday, writing: “The Democrats have flooded our Nation with Criminal Invaders, and now, they must all be thrown out.”

Noem and Homan visited the wounded officer in the hospital, where he remains in stable condition. Noem praised the officer’s actions as heroic and said the incident proves why strong immigration enforcement is vital. “Thanks to his training and tenacity, he saved his own life and protected his friend,” she said.

Nunez’s charges include grand larceny, assault, and armed robbery. Aybar-Berroa was ordered removed in 2023 after entering the U.S. illegally the previous year, but his detainer was ignored under New York City’s sanctuary policies.

“This blood is on the hands of city leaders who refuse to cooperate with ICE,” Noem said bluntly.

The post Trump Admin Denounces Sanctuary Cities After Shooting Of Border Patrol Officer appeared first on Real News Now.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *