President Donald Trump doubled down Friday on his decision to redeploy two U.S. nuclear submarines in response to inflammatory remarks made by former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, saying the move was necessary to protect the American people.
“We had to do that,” Trump told reporters from the White House lawn when asked about the sub deployment. “We just have to be careful. And a threat was made and we didn’t think it was appropriate, so I have to be very careful — I do that on the basis of safety for our people.”
.@POTUS on repositioning two U.S. nuclear subs: “We had to do that… A threat was made and we didn’t think it was appropriate, so I have to be very careful — I do that on the basis of safety for our people.” https://t.co/UkMrEFHcph pic.twitter.com/IXluSTn294
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) August 1, 2025
Trump emphasized that Medvedev’s rhetoric crossed a line and warranted a serious response. “A threat was made by a former President of Russia,” he said. “And we’re going to protect our people.”
The president first announced the maneuver earlier in the day on Truth Social, stating that Medvedev — now serving as Deputy Chairman of the Security Council of the Russian Federation — had made “highly provocative” statements that raised concerns within the administration.
“Based on the highly provocative statements of the Former President of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev… I have ordered two Nuclear Submarines to be positioned in the appropriate regions, just in case these foolish and inflammatory statements are more than just that,” Trump wrote. “Words are very important, and can often lead to unintended consequences, I hope this will not be one of those instances.”
The move comes amid growing tensions between Washington and Moscow over the ongoing war in Ukraine. Trump has been pressuring Russian President Vladimir Putin to finalize a peace deal and has publicly criticized recent escalations in military activity. He recently moved up his deadline for a peace agreement to August 9, citing stalled progress and renewed aggression from Russian forces.
Medvedev responded to Trump’s demands with open mockery, calling them “a step towards war” and dismissing Trump’s influence. His comments appear to have triggered the president’s decision to act decisively.
White House and Pentagon officials confirmed the submarines were being placed “in regions of strategic interest,” though specific locations were not disclosed. National Security Adviser Ric Grenell stated that the move was “measured, deliberate, and in the interest of deterrence.”
The message is clear: under President Trump, the United States will not wait idly while foreign adversaries test its resolve. With less than a week before Trump’s deadline for Russia to negotiate a peace settlement, tensions are at a boiling point — but so is American readiness.
Trump’s approach stands in sharp contrast to the Biden administration’s previous foreign policy, which critics say emboldened hostile actors and projected weakness abroad. Now, with U.S. subs back on the move and Moscow on notice, the president has made it unmistakably clear: provocative threats will not go unanswered.
The post Trump Defends Decision To Move Nuclear Subs After Russian Comments: ‘We Had To Do That’ appeared first on Real News Now.
